Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 21:50:43 -0600
From:      john@dexter.starfire.mn.org (John Lind)
To:        dan@dpcsys.com (Dan Busarow)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Re: ipfw question

Please reply directly, as I do not currently subscribe to this list.

Dan Busarow writes:
[ lots of historical stuff deleted]

> > Help???
>
> Try this.  Reboot the system to clear any ipfw counters.
> Try making the outbound connection and then run
>
> # ipfw show
>
> That should show you which rule is causing the problem.
>
> Send the output of ipfw show and netstat -rn

Wow I am REALLY convinced that something is REALLY broken.  Having tried
what Dan suggested and not learning much (everything looked like it SHOULD
have worked) I've gone to a TRIVIAL ruleset, and even THAT doesn't work!

Since the rc.firewall code does an ipfw -f flush each time it is run,
I haven't had to reboot to clear the counters.  All the counters
except for the permanent rule (65536 deny ip from any to any) get
cleared -- this may be a "feature", since that rule is never flushed.

The new ruleset should simply allow unrestricted access to the gateway
machine itself on the external interface.  What actually happens is
that the telnet session that I have open to enable the firewall continues
to work (and this accounts for the counter activity on the in the
"established" rule), a new telnet session never gives me the banner
and prompt, even though the "setup" rule counter gets incremented.

Right now, I only see three possibilities:

1) The operation of the firewall code has changed in some subtle way that
   I am unable to infer or discern from examining the example code.
2) I am missing something so obvious that I am staring right at it.
3) FreeBSD 2.2.7 ipfw and/or kernel code is BROKEN.

Following is the information requested:

01000          6        363 allow tcp from any to any established
01250          1         68 allow tcp from any to 137.192.130.29 setup
01251          0          0 allow tcp from 137.192.130.29 to any
01420          0          0 allow tcp from any to any 53 setup
01421          3        216 allow udp from any to any 53
01430          0          0 allow icmp from any to any
65535          4        813 deny ip from any to any

Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
default            137.192.130.30     UGSc        3      387       ed0
127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH          0        0       lo0
137.192.130.16/29  link#2             UC          0        0
137.192.130.20     0:a0:c9:32:2:df    UHLW        1      466       ed1    842
137.192.130.24/29  link#1             UC          0        0
137.192.130.30     0:e0:d0:0:d8:60    UHLW        4        0       ed0    798

Please reply directly, as I do not currently subscribe to this list.

		 John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services
E-mail: john@starfire.MN.ORG	    USnail: PO Box 17247, Mpls MN  55417