Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 20:22:01 +0100 (BST)
From:      William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Delete Key

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 tnu@chania.di.uoa.gr wrote:

> WP> $ stty erase [press ^V, press del, enter]
>
> Instead of Ctrl+v, <DEL> the following is identical:
> $ stty erase "^?"

But neither has any effect on my virtual console!

> WP>  I can't understand the FreeBSD schizophrenia about del.
> WP>  It is a *PC* operating system.
>
> Perhaps, it's main target groups is PCs but this doesn't make it
> a "PC operating system". It carries the history of BSD and BSD is/was not
> a "PC operating system".

Yeah, but that isn't an excuse for it to be unreasonably difficult to
make a key do what it has done on that particular hardware platform for
almost its entire history. I thought one of the principle design
philosophies of FreeBSD is that the user is always right, and the OS
didn't aim to remake the user in its own image.

In this case, this user (me) wants to be able to use the del key for its
traditional purpose on this hardware platform, and doesn't care what it
was on DEC VT220 terminals or any of a mirriad of extinct platforms not
supported by FreeBSD anyway.  I don't need an extra backspace, I've
already got one above enter.  All I want to do be able to use sh and
bash, and when I want to delete a word not to have to push the cursor to
the other side of the word before I delete it.  Del is convenient in
that respect.

It should at least be possible to configure this.

> As for the <DEL> issue, the following works for me:
>
> $ bindkey "^?" delete-char

Works for me when I run csh - I never use it as a shell.  What about in
sh or bash?

Regards,
William.