Date:      Fri, 9 May 2008 15:28:41 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <brde@optusnet.com.au>
To:        vwe@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        kbyrdPM@yahoo.com, freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/74650: System Reboot with umount command

On Thu, 8 May 2008 vwe@FreeBSD.org wrote:

> Synopsis: System Reboot with umount command
>
> State-Changed-From-To: feedback->closed
>
> We're sorry to not see any feedback received for quite some time.
> If you think this is still an issue that should be worked on,
> please provide the requested information and we'll be happy to
> re-open this ticket.
> Thank you for bringing this problem to attention!

This might be the bug unsetting the dirty flag which I submitted a fix
last year, combined with user error (attempting to write to an unwriteable
disk).  Write errors are supposed to cause cause endless retries and
corresponding spews of kernel printfs (although both of these are
wrong), so unmount() after an unrecoverable write error should always
fail, but the bug made it always panic for msdosfs.

The bug was first implemented on 2003/12/26 in rev.1.112, so it corresponds
exactly with the user's downgrade from FreeBSD-4.8 to FreeBSD-5.3 (5.2 only
has rev.1.112).

The bug was fixed on 2007/10/22 in rev.1.179, just in time to miss being
in RELENG_7 although the fix was supposed to be urgently MFC'ed to
RELENG_6.  Thus the fix is not in any release.

Bruce