Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2000 21:49:06 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No port of Opera? (Was: ((FreeBSD : Linux) :: (OS/2 : Windows)))

Brett Glass writes:
> I was just in communication with the developers of Opera this morning, and
> it appears that the presence of Linux emulation in FreeBSD is likely to
> cost us a native port of this superior browser and e-mail client. According
> to an employee of Opera software,

Cutting to the bone thru all the BS this thread has generated I have a
simple solution: don't download or buy Opera. And quit bitching about
it.

I might bother to download StarOffice one day if/when they do a native
FreeBSD version. But in the meantime the compatibility issues between
StarOffice and the FreeBSD Linux emulation has kept me away and will
continue to keep me away until something tilts the balance causing me to
*need* StarOffice. They missed the boat back when I didn't need it but
would have tried it.

As long as Applixware was not FreeBSD native, I stayed away. Backordered
the native version shortly after it was announced. Stayed backordered
for something like 16 months before it arrived. I waited.

WordPerfect 8.0 wasn't a big pain under Linux emulation. I've used it a
number of times (while waiting for Applixware) to write nasty letters to
the fool CD "club" I'm a member of. Finally won that battle after a year
when they finally diverted a human's attention to my account and
actually read my letters and examined the photocopies of statements I
included.

I bought VirtualPC for my Macintosh specifically for the purpose of
hosting Microchip's MPLAB development environment for their PIC
microcontrollers. MPLAB is freeware. I will not *buy* software to run
under emulation. I would not buy the Linux version of Applixware. I
will not buy a Linux version of WP8. I will not buy a Linux version of
Opera. Considering that Opera will not be on my FreeBSD machines then
its extremely unlikely to be purchased for my Macintosh.

Did I see a 68k MacPlus emulator in the ports the other day? Hmmm...
Maybe I should fire that up and see if Nisus and Eudora for the Mac runs
under FreeBSD now....

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net