Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 12:41:37 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Jonathan Slivko <js43064n@pace.edu>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "Opposing" the "competition" (was: FreeBSD spokesman (was: So what happens to FreeBSD now?))

On Tuesday,  3 July 2001 at 16:45:57 -0400, James Howard wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Josef Grosch wrote:
>
>> I VERY strongly disagree! Just because Greg fails some random ideological
>> test of yours is no reason to discount him. Greg Lehey has great things for
>
> As boringly anti-GPL Mr. Glass is, this is not a "random"
> ideological test.  It is very important to the future of FreeBSD
> that its most visible participants be someone "opposed" to the
> "competition".

Note that Jordan Hubbard would fail this test too.

Guys, when will you learn that times change?  GNU isn't our
competition, it's part of our cultural space. If you are *really* so
opposed to GNU and the GPL, then you should remove every piece of
GPL'd software from your system.  You wouldn't be able to do much.

I've stated again and again that I think the GPL is flawed.  You don't
notice, because I'm pointing to other flaws in the GPL than the ones
you perceive.  There are also flaws (oh horror!) in the BSD licence.
But most of us have more potent enemies in sight, and in recent times,
presumably despite the rabid faction, we've had quite an influx of
Linux and GNU people into the BSD communities.

Greg