Date:      Thu, 28 May 2009 11:40:16 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        herbert langhans <herbert.raimund@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: removing distfiles?

On Wed, 27 May 2009 22:43:51 +0200, herbert langhans <herbert.raimund@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi Daemons,
> a short question:
>
> I can delete the .tar.gz files from /usr/ports/distfiles - is this correct?

These are used for compiling purposes by the ports system.
They are fetched if needed. If you delete them, and want to
compile a port later, the needed version will be fetched
again.

So: Yes, you can delete them.

> Not that some port tree management goes crazy (dependencies or such)..

As it has been mentioned, it depends on the tool you use
for this. the "make update" method employing cvsup / csup
doesn't seem to be interested in distfiles/, maybe
portupgrade or portmaster is. (I'm using portupgrade
tools, and I've not found myself in a difficult situation.)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0