Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:05:43 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        George Cox <gjvc@extremis.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are the differences?

On Thu 2000-01-27 (17:48), R Joseph Wright wrote:
> installing and upgrading with binaries.  I have had a lot of problems
> trying to build metaports for kde and gnome that are definitely not
> hardware related.  I'd type in "make" in the gnome metaport, for
> example, and there would be no response, only a new command prompt.

meta-ports won't do anything when your type "make".  Try "make install".

(The reason for this is that to build the meta-port, requires no
tools, since the meta-port itself doesn't build anything.  However,
to run after installation, the meta-port requires the components
it is "meta" for to be installed.  This might not be immediately
obvious.)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner