Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 08:56:33 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        taavi@uninet.ee
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mirroring www.freebsd.org?

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95.961120024624.21275A-100000@ns.uninet.ee>
taavi@uninet.ee writes:

> How to mirror freebsd WEB server when sup
> is not available anymore?

As another person already pointed out, CVSup isn't really intended for
this (yet).  But it _can_ do the job.  You need a supfile line something
like this:

    www release=current host=cvsup.freebsd.org hostbase=/home base=/usr \
	prefix=/usr/local/www delete old use-rel-suffix

(I split it into 2 lines to make it easier to read.  You can't
really do that.) As always, change "base" and "prefix" to reflect
the layout of your site, and add "compress" if you're using a slow
link.

Notice that unlike other cvsupfiles, you must specify "release=current"
here.  There's no CVS repository in the picture for this particular
collection.

Caveat:  This isn't perfect.  CVSup doesn't handle symbolic links
properly.  It always follows them to the real files, rather than
preserving them as links.  There are quite a few symbolic links in the
www tree, and as a result you'll get copies of files where you used to
get links to them.  Whereas the www/data tree on freefall is 8.7 MB,
your copy will be 11.6 MB.  Also, when a file referenced by symbolic
links changes on freefall, each of your copies will be transferred
separately.  Updates are not intelligent in any sense; any change to a
file causes the whole thing to be transferred.

I'm going to address these deficiencies in the future, as time permits.
My primary focus is still on mirroring CVS repositories, though.