Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 20:06:34 +0930
From:      Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Key bindings & colour support with telnet

Hi,
I do a lot of work using telnet from wIndoze machines to remote BSD machines
and have never been able to sort out the terminal types so that I can get
keys like Page Up, Page Down, Home, End, Delete & Backspace to work the way I
want and get colour support to work properly.
I have managed to find some bindkey settings that work with TeraTerm, but
can't seem to get the Delete key to work with PuTTY.
How are you supposed to find out what key codes the shell is receiving, so
that you can use bindkey to alter their meaning?
Is there a better way to fix up the key mappings?
The main problem with TeraTerm is a bit of a bug in it's colour support. If
you do an ls -G and there is a hilighted entry, TermTerm turns the hilight
colour on, but never turns it back off, so everything from then on is
highlighted.
Has anyone else had that problem & found a solution?

Is there a better (free) telnet program for Windows?
Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Ian