Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 23:51:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        jobaldwi@vt.edu (John Baldwin)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why are NIS netgroups  ignored...

John Baldwin wrote,
> The FreeBSD machine is the master server, and does not have a local
> /etc/netgroup file.  There is a /var/yp/netgroup file whose database is stored
> in the NIS maps in /var/yp/<domainname>.  The ypcat and ypmatch work on all
> machines, including the FreeBSD master server.

Hmmm... I thought you said that you _weren't_ getting
'netgroup.byhost' or 'netgroup.byuser.' You are getting them on all of
the machines?

> I should have also said that
> neither the FreeBSD client workstations nor the Digital UNIX workstations honor
> netgroups in .rhosts.  However, the Digital UNIX servers do honor netgroups in
> /etc/exports.  All of the machines in question are on the same LAN, including
> both the FreeBSD master, and a Digital UNIX slave.  It is as if the netgroup
> map is honored some times but not others.  Hope I haven't confused you more and
> thanks for sticking it out this far.

If all of the machines are receiving the maps for netgroup, then the
problem would not seem to lie with the NIS transfer among the
machines, but rather how individual applications use the maps. What
happens when you try to use a map in /etc/exports on a FreeBSD
machine? What kind of errors are you getting?