Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 00:29:05 -0400
From:      WOLF <travis@interlog.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   dial-up speed

Hi,

         I am running a 386 with Freebsd installed on it.  I have a Lan card
and a USR 56K modem on the 386.  I have set this computer up as a router and
gateway (using the -alias in ppp)to the internet for my comptuers on my LAN.
I have everything working, however for some reason, I find my connection
very slow when I am working on another computer on my LAN even when I am the
only one getting information from the internet. I have tried dialing in
terminal mode and it gives my a connection speed of 44Kbs (a wierd number)
and it still goes at max 1.5kbs!!  What I was wondering is if there was some
way to increase the speed of my connection. Also, why does my internet
access goes so slow even though my 386 doesn't even seem to be having any
trouble with the requests?

thank you

        Brandon Evenson