Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 10:18:35 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Known MMAP() race conditions ... ?

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Pierre Beyssac wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 08:20:37AM -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > I'm trying to push moving some Solaris boxes at work over to FreeBSD,
> > with our INN server being the 'safest' example to move over first, but
>
> You'd better try to configure INN without mmap(); this doesn't
> induce much performance penalty and you avoid any problems with
> FreeBSD's mmap.

The newest INN does not have this option, MMAP() is a requirement for
it...

> Now there are other (and IMHO, better) ways to demonstrate FreeBSD
> stability on a production server: HTTP, POP/SMTP, DNS,...

ah, okay, so you are saying that FreeBSD shouldn't be demonstrated using
software that taxes/tweaks bugs in it?  Boy, does that sound like a quick
road to problems... Management: but, when you sold us on this operating
system, it was perfectly stable.  Me: ya, well, I picked and choose the
software I ran for the demo, sorry...

personal, sounds like something Microsoft would do, not something that
*I'd* want to base a decision on.

right now, at work, I'm enjoying a 4 way battle.  Me, fighting to bring in
FreeBSD to replace some of our Solaris boxes.  A friend of mine, fighting
to bring in Linux to replace some of our Solaris boxes.  My boss fighting
against both of us to keep Solaris "because its what we've always used".
And another department fighting for NT/Novell solutions.

Right now, my 'fight' is weak, since all my friend has to do is point out
that 'the MMAP() issue isn't an issue under Linux'...and, as far as I'm
concerned, the MMAP() issue is about the *only* issue that prevents me
from being able to move forward.

My opinion on the Linux vs *BSD issue is, and always has been, that *BSD
makes the better *server*...we have very strong networking code, a very
stable kernel and a sane development model...but this MMAP() issue really
hurts :(  IMHO, *BSD was designed around *loaded* machines, yet it can't
handle a fully configured, loaded INN server without hanging :(

If someone is working on this, and its just a matter of patience because
the bugs, altho known, are obscure, great.  If ppl think that the problem
isn't serious enough, expect that once INN 2.3 is released, there is going
to be a major outcry, since INN 2.3 *requires* MMAP() to be used, it isn't
an option anymore :(

Systems Administrator @ hub.org