Date:      Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:43:32 +0100
From:      des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Latest round of bsd.*.mk changes

Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> Ok.  The point being that we have a reasonable amount of code in the
> tree that works around features not present in earlier releases than
> 4.3.

No, we don't.  Asami-san made 20001103 a flag date, anything older
than that is not supported.

> A lot of this code could now be ripped out, seeing as >=3D 4.3 is now
> required

4.3 or higher has been required for a long time (since January 16,
2001 to be exact); the only thing that has changed is the logic we use
to verify the age of the system.

>           and I'd suggest a specific OSVERSION check as early as
> possible to stave off the "I'm on <4.3, why did this port fail
> mysteriously" questions.

Thank you for your excellent suggestion.  In case you hadn't noticed,
that is exactly what the patch Joe committed does.

*grrr*

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no