Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2002 19:45:37 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        "Philip M. Gollucci" <philip@p6m7g8.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail / Fetchmail / Procmail / Mozilla

# philip@p6m7g8.com / 2002-12-01 13:20:52 +0000:
> Please cc me on the response. Thanks.

    ok.

> This is for a FreeBSD 5.0-DP2

    irrelevant.

> If I want to use fetchmail to snag email from say 4 different pop acounts
> and then filter it with procmail and use mozilla to read it (which I've
> read is trivial to do), what parts of sendmail (or any mta) must I
> have running minimally on localhost.

    none. you don't need sendmail to accept mail through fetchmail (just
    have it store messages directly in your mailbox instead of pulling
    them through sendmail; you get an added bonus of preventing mail
    loops in case you manage to misconfigure either part), and you don't
    need sendmail to send mail from mozilla, as it has its own
    implementation of a smtp client, just like any other clickoid mail
    client (IOW, it bypasses the standard, which is passing the message
    to sendmail on the command line.)

    note however, that disabling sendmail completely will cripple your
    system in that you will no longer receive the valuable output from
    periodic(8) scripts, and possibly in other areas.

> You can assume that this is for my person workstation and I do have root.
>
> While were on the sendmail thing, what exactly was the final decision on
> how to turn it off completely in FreeBSD4.7-RELEASE and -CURRENT ?
> (have the recent changes been MFC'ed yet)
>
> I've seen different answers across news groups, this list, and the
> src/UPDATING file.

    looks like there are different ways to achieve that.
    /usr/src/UPDATING is the authoritative source however.

> a) sendmail_enable = "NO"  (or anything that isn't NONE or YES)

    sendmail doesn't accept mail from outside (command line submission
    only).

> b) senmail_enable = "NONE"

    completely disables sendmail.

> c) mta_start_script="/nonexistent"  (or empty quotes)

    completely disables sendmail, with the possibility of you getting
    complaints during start. /usr/src/UPDATING says you should use ""
    for the value.

> d) sendmail_enable="NO"
>    sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
>    sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
>    sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"

    verbose way of saying sendmail_enable="NONE".

    the above is my understaning of the stuff in question, and I might
    be wrong in some details. if in doubt, consult the /etc/rc* scripts.