Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 20:32:40 +1000 (EST)
From:      Joel Sutton <jsutton@genesis.net.au>
To:        Nicole Harrington <nicole@nmhtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [ADV] Re: www.tunelinux.com - an interesting idea...

> >>   It sounds like a good idea, but we should also come up with
> >>something original, and stop being one step behind the Linux
> >>crowd in the creative advocacy sites.

I agree. All we need now are some original ideas....

> >>   Perhaps somebody generous enough to spare some bandwidth for a
> >>site that would carry various custom configurations (in
> >>pkg_add-able format?) for various things.  The availibility of it
> >>_could_ win over the management types, and the lazier sysadmins
> >>out there. ;)

I like this idea, but wouldn't it be better to keep these packages in the
ports collection?

>  Put something together and I will try to swing it for you.

I'd be willing to put something together with PHP3.

>  I would need to know:
> 1) Expected disk space needed.

I'm not sure about this one. It would really depend on the popularity of
the project. This would be a knowledge base rather than a "file store" so
that should limit the space required somewhat. We'd have to define some
limits in both disk space, types of information and the age of the
information.

> 2) Other resouces needed (I assume just web server and ftp server is needed)

Apache
PHP3
MySql/Postrgresql
FTP server (for packages???)

> 3) Who would be in charge of the project

Someone who knows about performace tuning systems. This really rules me
out. :-) A show of hands perhaps? For the information to be effective
there would need to be some sort of approval process - which translates to
someones time unfortunately...

Cheers, Joel...

---
Joel Sutton                       |                Busy Bee Consulting
Phone: 0409 426-563               |               Melbourne, Australia
Email: jsutton@genesis.net.au     | http://www.genesis.net.au/~jsutton
VicFUG Webmaster/Acting President |  http://www.vicfug.au.freebsd.org/