Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 23:15:28 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        dan@langille.org
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: too much confusion over kernel building

> Over the past few weeks and months, I've seen far too many people
> using "make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL" when they should have
> used "config MYKERNEL".

I'm not quite sure we should be advocating using the older, `config
MYKERN` method.  It doesn't really have any advantages over the newer
one, and suggesting different ones for different purposes will only
confuse the novices, IMO.  Plus, `make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL` is
quite a bit simpler than,

      config MYKERNEL && cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL && make depend && make

So, my question is, why use the older one?  I can understand why
people still use it because they've been doing it that way for the
last X years, but that's no reason to teach it to new people.

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org