Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 06:31:20 +0000
From:      Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        "Seamus Roche" <seamusjr@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [free-bsd newbies]WHOO- HOO! Installed 4.3 on 1st try

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 07:57:20 +0000
"Seamus Roche" <seamusjr@hotmail.com> wrote:

> After anticipating installing FreeBSD 4.3 for the last four months I
> installed on a Compaq P2 333mhz with 64MBRam.  On my first try, this
> past weekend.

Congratulations!
I've always been able to get FBSD installed on the first try, about a
dozen times over the last couple years. The only problem I've ever had
were in regards to trying the latest version of XFree86.

> I plan to use my new FreeBSD machine as a Unix Workstation where I can
> learn Perl, Java and UNIX web administration with Apache and PHP.

Now you can set up apache/php/mysql and learn some really powerful
stuff. PHP is great and much better than ASP.

> I will definately have questions for this list as I move on.  Esp
> about X, installing Perl stuff and installing a modem so I can dial
> up(the box can't use the WinModem).

Use an external modem and you won't go wrong.

> So, I just thought I'd share that will all the other newbies.  The
> biggest thing I had going for me before the install was that this was
> a used receptionists machine and she didn't really use much of it, so
> It was easy to clean off and scale down.
>
> My FreeBSD slice is a tasty 2GB, sandwiched inbetween a Gig of crufty
> Win98 on either side.

Once again, congratulations. Now before you go installing any apps you
may want to consider upgrading to FreeBSD 4.5, it was just released in
the last week or two.

--
Chip
www.wiegand.org