Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 1995 11:24:57 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        jake@ibmPCUG.CO.UK
Cc:        moto@cs.cmu.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: AHA2940 working??

>> >I've just bought a Pentium 100 with AHA2940 board. I've been trying to
>> >install 2.0-950210-SNAP but it hangs when the machine boots from a
>> >floppy right after the message
>> >
>> >  ahc0 targ 0 lun 0: type 0(direct) fixed SCSI2
>> >  ahc0 targ 0 lun 0: <MICROP 4221-09MZ  10204HT01>
>> >
>> >Did anyone suceed to get AHA2940 work with FreeBSD? Had I better try
>> >-current instead of the latest snapshot?
>
>> Some have had success and some have not.  I have just made some changes
>> to the current driver that may solve this problem, but I cannot say for
>> sure.
>
>I have found that a successful boot is hard to come by but
>once it works, it will work fine even with after a reboot/shutdown -r
>
>The problem seems to only when cold starting.
>
>> >Motonori Shindou       Carnegie Mellon University       SCS Graduate Studen
>
>> Justin T. Gibbs
>
>Regards,
>Jake Dias
>PC User Group

Do you have a kernel source tree?  If so, do you mind testing out my latest
version of the kernel driver??

The files you will need to update are:

ftp.cdrom.com://pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/sys/i386/scsi/*
ftp.cdrom.com://pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/sys/i386/isa/aic7770.c
ftp.cdrom.com://pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/sys/pci/aic7870.c
ftp.cdrom.com://pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/sys/gnu/misc/aic7xxx/*

And a one line change to then end of src/sys/scsi/scsi_all.h:

/*
 * Status Byte
 */
#define SCSI_OK         0x00
#define SCSI_CHECK              0x02
#define SCSI_BUSY               0x08
#define SCSI_INTERM             0x10
#define SCSI_QUEUE_FULL         0x28  <=== This is new
#endif /*_SCSI_SCSI_ALL_H*/

Thanks!
--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1