Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:10:59 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>, questions@freebsd.org, unixnoob@charter.net
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Router/Firewall Questions

Hi!

> > On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, RD wrote:
>
> > > How do I connect this?  Do I use 2 eithernets 1 to net and 1 to a hub?

> If your ethernet card has two types of connectors (RJ45 aka UTP and
> BNC [which is a thing that sticks out of the card]) then you could try
> to connect the adsl-modem to the RJ45 and the rest of your stuff to
> the BNC, which would save you the hub (as BNC is daisy chain) and one
> network card.

You're joking, right? The only Ethernet cards I know of which support
connecting multiple network cables to one card are the really expensive
4-port RJ45 cards that have highly specialized hardware to basically
act as 4 NICs on one board.

Any plain $5 BNC/TP combo card certainly does NOT support connecting a
cable to both BNC and TP connector!
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* If Windows sucked, it would be good for something.