Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2013 08:30:42 +0100
From:      David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SU+J hard recovery failure

Le jeudi 28 mars 2013 11:05:58 Daniel O'Connor a =E9crit :
> On 27/03/2013, at 18:43, David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com> wr=
ote:
> > Yesterday I had a panic on my laptop. Unfortunately the SU+J was no=
> > able to recovery the file system, the error was something like :
> >=20
> > Unknown error: Help!
> > Could not find directory 9854215
> >=20
> > And it went to the single user mode, I needed to fsck_ufs manually =
> > recover the disk. What afraid me is what if happens on a headless
> > machine? It will be hard to recover.
>=20
> For headless remote systems I use fsck_y_enable=3D"YES".
>=20
> In my experience 'fsck -y' almost invariably recovers the disk to a p=
oint
> where it can boot and then I can login remotely.
>=20

When the problem appeared, I could not use fsck -y because it will asks=
 "Use=20
journal?" and if journal is used the error above reappears and you can =
not=20
clean the file system..

I needed to do a full fsck without any journal at all.

> --
> Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer
> for Genesis Software - http://www.gsoft.com.au
> "The nice thing about standards is that there
> are so many of them to choose from."
>   -- Andrew Tanenbaum
> GPG Fingerprint - 5596 B766 97C0 0E94 4347 295E E593 DC20 7B3F CE8C

Regards,

--=20
David Demelier