Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:39:27 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        media@mail1.nai.net
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Logging on twice??

* media@mail1.nai.net <media@mail1.nai.net> [001013 11:21] wrote:

> Today, while reading the apsfilter documentation (I'm trying to get my
> non-PostScript printer to work), I found out that you can have more than
> one  console by typing ALT-F1, ALT-F2, etc.  So I can read documentation in
> one console, and follow those directions in another console without losing
> my mind.  Pretty cool, huh?? :)
>
> Anyway, so I'm logged on as myself in one window, and as root in the other.
> While I realize you being root is necessary to get many things working, it
> often makes me feel like I'm defusing a bomb.  So, is it OK to be logged on
> as the same user twice, on the same system, on two different "virtual"
> consoles??

FreeBSD wouldn't be a very good multiuser system if this wasn't
allowed. :)

So, yes, it's ok to do that.

> Also, I know I shouldn't put two questions in the same email, but it does
> reduce bandwidth :)

Yes it does, but it's better to split unrelated questions and have more
descriptive subject lines.

> How can I change my screen font so that more lines of
> text fit on a screen??

You can use /stand/sysinstall to set your screen font, then you can do
this:

font8x8="cp437-8x8"
font8x14="cp437-8x14"
font8x16="cp437-8x16"
allscreens_flags="80x50"

> I don't need to be able to read it from accross the
> room.

hah!

> Also, how can I change my "scroll lock" settings so I can see more
> screens when I roll back??

options         SC_HISTORY_SIZE=200     # number of history buffer lines

make that larger (i think) in your kernel config.

-Alfred