Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 00:35:06 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade a port

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 04:26:53PM -0600, Laurence Berland wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade KDE2 from a pre- to the current version.  I had
> previously installed using the metaport, so I go to /usr/ports/x11/kde2
> and type 'make deinstall.'  Now I go 'make' but nothing happens
>
> dhcp089221# make
> dhcp089221#

Yup, 'make' does nothing, because it sees that you've already built
something.  You need to 'make clean' to clean up everything left over
from your previous build.

> make reinstall just reinstalls the same stuff again, by just finding
> that all the things it depends on have been installed, and then
> reregistering itself

'make reinstall' depends on what the 'make all' (a.k.a. 'make build')
thinks on what needs to be remade - in your case, nothing.

> dhcp089221# make reinstall
[snip]

> Any ideas on the cleanest way to deal with all this and upgrade kde2
> from sources?

Yup, do a 'make clean' and then 'make' (synonymous to 'make all').
You can do both with a single command - 'make clean all'

You may even try 'make deinstall clean all reinstall' :)

HTH.

G'luck,
Peter

--