Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:27:35 +0100
From:      Axel Gruner <axel.gruner@suedfactoring.de>
To:        alanchen@MIT.EDU
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd 5.0 and snapshots

Hi.

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:30:07 -0500
Alan Chen <alanchen@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> I am trying to get snapshots working on FreeBSD 5.0.  I looked in the
> handbook on the web and the file:
> "/usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/README.snapshot"

The Readme tells you:

"To create a snapshot of your /var filesystem, run the command:
mount -u -o snapshot /var/snapshot/snap1 /var"

So, i  think you can only make a snapshot of a single filesystem.
So, maybe your /var is not a single filesystem.
If you want to be sure, type:
#mount
and take a look what kind of filesyste, you have.
It depends on how you installed FreeBSD. Normally you will have:
/
/usr
/tmp
(/var)

So, this _could_ be the problem, but i am not sure.

hth

asg