Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 14:34:22 -0400
From:      "SILVER, MICHAEL A" <MSILVER@scana.com>
To:        "'Lee, Jaeho'" <Jaeho.Lee@brooks.com>
Cc:        "'Freebsd-Questions (E-mail)'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: running web server on dynamic ip address

> Questions,
> 1) Even though it is dynamic address, I can run apache and others can
> access the web site with given address. Right?

Yes correct.

> 2) I know there is a program that makes dynamic address as like static
> (hold the address) on windows. Is there similar thing on FreeBSD?

Hmm, I think what you mean is something like dyndns, etc.  Most of the free
DNS servers only allow you to use sub domains.  For example I use dyndns,
and I have the name juniper.homeip.net.  Homeip.net is their domain name.

There are at least two services where you can use your own domain names.
One is ZoneEdit.com, the other is granite falls (which is more difficult to
manage).  I currently use ZoneEdit for three of my personal domains that all
point to my dynamic IP address.  There are also clients you can download
that will update your record at ZoneEdit (and dyndns or any of the other
ones) when your IP changes.

There are several for-cost DNS services (not sub-domain).  DynDns offers
one, as does TZO.

> 3) Generally speaking. Is there anyone running web site on dynamic
> address? Or is it only I who has this stupid idea?

I have a similar setup at my house with virtual hosts (multiple domain
names).  I did have some problems with getting apache to reload when there
was a IP change.  I had to modify the apache conf file and replace the old
IP addresses.  As I understand it, apache can now use a * for the IP
address, which solves this problem.  I am currently using thttpd as my web
server, since the conf file doesn't require changes, although I plan on
moving back to apache.  thttpd just shuts itself down on occasion.

...Michael...

...Michael...