Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 20:22:57 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: too much confusion over kernel building

On 17 Jan 2001, at 23:15, Dima Dorfman wrote:

> > Over the past few weeks and months, I've seen far too many people
> > using "make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL" when they should have
> > used "config MYKERNEL".
>
> I'm not quite sure we should be advocating using the older, `config
> MYKERN` method.  It doesn't really have any advantages over the newer
> one, and suggesting different ones for different purposes will only
> confuse the novices, IMO.  Plus, `make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL` is
> quite a bit simpler than,
>
>       config MYKERNEL && cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL && make depend && make
>
> So, my question is, why use the older one?  I can understand why
> people still use it because they've been doing it that way for the
> last X years, but that's no reason to teach it to new people.

It might be because it doesn't work.  The following box works with the
"old" style, but fails with the "new" style:

[root@xeon:/usr/src] # make buildkernel KERNEL=XEON

[massive sniop]

/tmp/ccM70700.s:2514: Error: Subtraction of two symbols in different
sections "IdlePTD" {.data section} - "KERNBASE" {*UND* section} at
file address 1884.
/tmp/ccM70700.s:2517: Error: Subtraction of two symbols in different
sections "IdlePTD" {.data section} - "KERNBASE" {*UND* section} at
file address 1903.
*** Error code 1
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/XEON.