Date:      Sun, 06 Dec 1998 19:54:09 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   xset dpms 600 0 0

While my Matrox Millenium II and XFree86 SVGA server support DPMS, its
disabled by default. Have found ~/.xinitrc is a good place to put my
xset values but question about the arguments. The man page for xset
says:

       dpms flags...
               The dpms option  allows  the  DPMS  (Energy  Star)
               parameters  to  be set.  The option can take up to
               three numerical values, or the `force'  flag  fol-
               lowed  by  a DPMS state.  The `force' flags forces
               the server to immediately switch to the DPMS state
               specified.    The   DPMS   state  can  be  one  of
               `standby', `suspend', or  `off'.   When  numerical
               values  are  given, they set the inactivity period
               before the three modes are activated.   The  first
               value  given is for the `standby' mode, the second
               is for the `suspend' mode, and the  third  is  for
               the  `off'  mode.  Setting these values implicitly
               enables the DPMS features.  A value of  zero  dis-
               ables a particular mode.

I've been playing with short values and don't understand the difference
between "standby" and "suspend". Maybe there isn't a difference for my
ViewSonic PT770. Could someone explain what these terms mean?

And while we're at it, does one specify the times since inactivity for
each stage, or the time since the prior stage? For example, 10 minutes
to start the "standby", then 60 seconds start "suspend", and after being
suspended for 60 seconds we turn the monitor off. Which of the following
(if any) is correct?

% xset dpms 600 660 720
% xset dpms 600 60 60