Date:      Fri, 2 Jan 1998 12:16:45 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, thyerm@camtech.net.au
Cc:        fcurrent@jraynard.demon.co.uk, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc changes

>What is the prescribed method for installing files from /usr/src/etc
>into /etc and getting the permissions right ?
>
>Should one just run "make distribution" from /usr/src/etc ?
>or is one meant to examine the Makefile and just set the permissions
>manually after copying files into /etc ?

Most of them are data files or shell sourcesand don't need special
permissions.  I normally install them with

	install -D -D -p -o root -g wheel -m 644

The Makefile only gives 755 permissions to netstart and pccard_ether.
Many of the shell sources begin with !#/bin/sh, but this is bogus
except for these two files.  rc.i386, rc.network, rc.pccard can't
even work right when they are exec'ed directly, since they depend
on rc.conf being sourced previously to set the options.

Bruce