Date:      Thu, 03 Oct 2002 09:07:08 +0100
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Firsto Lasto" <firstolasto@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PRNG not seeded - error in non-root ssh inside 4.6.2 jails...

> I have found that if you create a jail in FreeBSD 4.6.2, and then log into
> that jail ... if you are root you can scp and ssh just fine.  However if you
> are not root and you attempt to ssh or scp, you get this error:
>
> PRNG is not seeded

Hmmm.

> A few details - first, I created my jail by simply using the dump command to
> dump my / filesystem, and then restoring that inside the jail.  Not elegant,
> but it works - so the jail in question has a full /dev and everything.
>
> Second, I used the exact same method in 4.6.1 and did not have problems.
>
> I saw a usenet post that recommended solving the problem with this:
>
> "chmod a+r /dev/*rand*"

You seem to be on the right track in assuming it is a /dev/[u]random
problem.

Can you confirm this by (as a pleb user) dumping some random output?

$ dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/stdout bs=512 count=1 | hexdump -C

(and same for /dev/urandom).

Please also give a ls -l /dev/*random.

> however I tried that, and now when I try to ssh or scp from a non root user
> inside the jail, I get:
>
> "Host key verification failed"
>
> Does anyone know why this happens, why it didn't happen prior to 4.6.2, and
> how I can fix it ?

The random device has not changed, but the OpenSSL code has. Maybe OpenSSL's
internal PRNG is doing something naughty.

o       Mark Murray
\_
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn