Date:      Sat, 04 Aug 2001 15:10:42 +1200
From:      Julian Peterson <julian@pandromeda.com>
To:        joel2a@yahoo.com, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft bashers

At 22:26 3/08/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Well I just have to say that if there wasn't Windows we would all be back
>the days of console prompt typing and there certainly would not be as many
>people on the internet.

yeah uh huh.  oh I forgot, Microsoft invented the GUI right?  And the
Internet too?  Sure.

>While Unix is good and freebsd is cool to have much of the open source
>software is still very bugged.

And Windows isn't? FreeBSD and Linux (and Unix in general) are far more
stable than Windows.

>If anyone is wondering why KDE or Kthis or gnome that doesn't work
>right... what do you expect!
>It's open source and why don't you learn C and fix it yourself!

They have work to be done on them, granted.  The cool thing is work *is*
being done on them... at a dizzing rate.  Both of those desktop
environments have come a long way very quickly, and personally I'd choose
either over Windows any day.  I find I'm much more productive because I can
tailor my desktop to exactly the way I want.

Windows doesn't work right... what can I do about that?

>Not really to bash anyone but I think Microsoft bashers really don't have
>a clue themselves and I kinda like playing Asheron's Call or Everquest on
>a windows machine!
>Try playing that on a a Unix machine!

I'm more of a Quake player myself...

Games are one of things that will come as market share improves.  As it is
I've never felt like I'm missing out, but then I'm not much of a gamer.
There's a bunch of solutions to that anyway... dual boot, wine,
lokigames.com, and the PS2

>Word processing in a console and putting it through Postscript to get
>formatting! GIVE ME A BREAK! Some of you Microsoft bashers are worse than
>not having a clue! How about getting a life!

I did my masters thesis using emacs and latex.  It was very easy. All I had
to do was write, all of the formatting and layout was taken care of.  I
watched one guy struggle through with Word... after a few hundred pages
with images it got so very very slow, and eventually corrupted itself. *shrug*

If you want a GUI for latex, there's Lyx

If you really really feel that you can't live without a GUI word processor,
well there's Abiword, Wordperfect, Applix, Kword, and Staroffice (just off
the top of my head).

Julian.

PS. For not wanting to bash anyone, you do a pretty lousy job.