Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 2003 11:55:23 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        Randall Hamilton <nitedog@silly.pikachu.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fish ? Who mentioned Fish ?

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> (I'm living in the US at present, in one of the more progressive and
> cosmopolitan cities).

Boseman, Montanna?  8-) 8-).

> Population of European Union in 2000 (15 member countries, which are
> comparable in area to US states): 377 million
>
> Population of US (50 states) in 2002: around 280 million
>
> Even the population of tiny Netherlands (17 million) is much more than
> the avg population per state of the US.

These figures are not representative of averages.  More than 50%
of the world's population lives within 50 miles of a coast.  If
you average the US states, then you are going to be adding Utah
and Idaho and California together, and getting California / 3.

It's more accurate to compare coastal states with coastal counties
(the exception being Alaska, which is probably more comparable with
Greenland).

> I saw an article in a mainstream US newspaper not long ago, which
> argued, apparently seriously, that Europeans are more worried about
> global warming than the US because if water levels rise, there's
> plenty of room inland for coastal Americans to move in, but there's no
> more room inland in Europe.

That's a stupid article.  8-).  Seriously, I can find stupid
articles in European papers too; what someone says in an OpEd
piece is really irrelevent.

While I was on vacation last month, I was in a place where I
was unable to avoid a Television with Jay Leno on it; he did
this segment called "Jay Walking", which is basically a "man
on the street interview", but incredibly biased towards the
inclusion of clips wherein stupid people are unable to answer
simple questions.  This is *not* representative of people in
the U.S., any more than attempts to increase educational funding
by special interests, by showing students who don't know where
Moscow is located, is representative.

-- Terry