Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 2002 14:52:19 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Wouter Van Hemel <wouter@pair.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Beta FreeBSD search engine

Wouter Van Hemel wrote:
> If you would include the language in the index, you could give back all
> languages for a given document, e.g.
>
> Manual Vinum Bootstrapping
> ... sd name home.p.s drive YouCrazy plex home.p len hl driveoffset ho ...
> http://www.sprawler.com/doc1/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/vinum/manualboot.html - 12k - [HIGHLIGHTED]
>   (de . en . fr . gr . etc)

I like this - good idea.. Now, to try to implement it.. :)  I'll try to come up
with something along this line..

> I'm just thinking out loud about the possibilities... rather than about
> the time you have available. Great job so far! ;)

Thanks!  Thinking out loud is good - even if I can't implement everything right
now, I'll eventually get it in there (hopefully).

> The problem with a drop-down box with the available languages or something
> along those lines is that the documentation in other languages isn't
> always complete. If people select some obsure language that has only a few
> documents translated, it's likely their search won't turn up any results.
> So to be sure they get all relevant information, they will only use
> English. Or possibly complain about the lack of information, if they
> don't.

Good point.. I think most people ignore search options for the most part anyhow,
and use default most of the time.

Eric