Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:23:25 +0200
From:      Dmitry Ivanov <dimss@solutions.lv>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Nico Meijer <nico.meijer@zonnet.nl>
Subject:   Re: rl0: watchdog timeout

On Thursday 16 December 2004 04:36, Mike Jeays wrote:
> > I have no first hand experience with this particular problem, but
> > it's almost common knowledge RealTek nics are great because they
> > are cheap, not because they are of good quality. The phrase "piece
> > of crap" has been uttered more than once in relation to these nics.
>
> I have three of them, and have had no trouble at all so far, in a
> low-activity home network.  I wouldn't buy them for servers at work,
> though.

We have tons of them working on servers, routers and desktops because
they are cheap (some beers are more expensive). There is no real
difference between Realtek and Intel  NICs when they work (even for
most servers). I've seen only 3 or 4 broken rl's in last four years. If
your rl0 gets broken, just replace it and forget about it.

--
...python is just now at 2.4? perl is 3.4 better!