Date:      Wed, 01 May 2002 22:47:03 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Chip McClure <vhm3@hades.gigguardian.com>
Cc:        groggy11@mail.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bad isp - dns

Chip McClure wrote:
> I agree totally. I was under the assumption when I had read the
> inital post, that this was a fully routable IP address space, and not
> one in the private space. And yes, ARPA will never give away the
> space for routing that one. :)
>
> Without much more information, it is kinda tough to suggest where to
> go next. As long as sendmail is configured properly (the access lists
> for relaying, and the smart host set), the clients on the back end
> are all using a valid email address, he will be able to send out mail
> from his system.

He has a machine "en26.groggy.anc.acsalaska.net"; this is the
mail server.  It's behind a NAT box "groggy.anc.acsalaska.net"
with IP address "208.151.119.232".  Forward and reverse address
mappings are correct for the NAT box.

Because he is not masqurading the domain, on outbound SMTP
connections, he's saying:

	"ehlo en26.groggy.anc.acsalaska.net"
and:

	"mail from: <groggy@en26.groggy.anc.acsalaska.net>"

instead of the correct thing, which is:

	"ehlo groggy.anc.acsalaska.net"

and:

	"mail from: <groggy@groggy.anc.acsalaska.net>"

Since "ehlo en26.groggy.anc.acsalaska.net" is not a resolvable
name, his mail is getting rejected.  Pretty simple.

I'll bet his biggest problem is that he's using "qmail" or
"postfix" or something other than "sendmail" (the latter is
easily configured for proper masquerading of domains).

Supporting inbound email through the NAT box to the interior
SMTP server... that's a whole additional problem.

-- Terry