Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 08:36:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        doconnor@gsoft.com.au, scrappy@hub.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, irwanhadi@iname.com, wonko@entropy.tmok.com
Subject:   Re: hotmail now running win2000

>  On 09-Aug-00 The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>  >  use something like netsaint to monitor those machines?  and the APC master
>  >  switch is web administered, so it would be too easy to build a quick perl
>  >  script to trigger a power outlet correspondign to the partiular server
>  >  that was n olonger responding ...
>
>  Personally I would wire something up to the reset switch instead..

there are watchdog cards like the Berkshire to do this. I was asked to
fix a Linux driver problem for one of these cards and wrote a FreeBSD
driver for the card. Thankfully *BSD is stable enough that this board
is not needed, but (trying to justify my time in doing the driver for BSD)
the card also has a temperature feature that you could use with a ATX power
supply and the FreeBSD 3.x/4.x init to shut off the machine if the
internals get to hot.

--mark tinguely