Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 13:18:51 -0500
From:      Mathew KANNER <mat@cs.mcgill.ca>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   DVD playback

Hello,
	My friends at work got me DVD drive as a departing
gift (thanks guys).  Naturally, I don't want to install Windows so I
searched for a way to play DVDs from FBSD.

	I didn't have any luck with the standard tool that people talk
about -- a small user-land utility and some FBSD patches that does a
IOCTL dance with the DVD drive.  Both this utility and the FBSD
patches are available on the Internet with a small number of searches.

	However, with a third tool, a small userland utility that
blasts a mounted file looking for the right bits, you can spool or
pipe the movies to a player.  This tool is also readily found on the
Internet, often close to the other files mentioned above.  I've used
players such as xmovie or xine, both of which are in the ports.

	So, to summarize, it is possible to view block-buster, Hollywood
DVD movies in FBSD.

	Thanks to all who participated on the lists so that I could
search the archive and arrive at this conclusion.

	--Mat

--
Mathew Kanner <mat@CS.McGill.CA>  SOCS McGill University
   Obtuse quote: He [not me] understands: "This field of perception