Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 18:26:41 -0000
From:      "Scott Mitchell" <scott@uk.freebsd.org>
To:        "David Kirchner" <davidk@accretivetg.com>, "Flemming Froekjaer" <flemming@froekjaer.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dump/restore from Linux to FreeBSD machine

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Kirchner" <davidk@accretivetg.com>
To: "Flemming Froekjaer" <flemming@froekjaer.org>
Cc: "Scott Mitchell" <scott@uk.freebsd.org>; <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 6:11 PM

> On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Flemming Froekjaer wrote:
>
> > Scott Mitchell wrote:
> >
> > >As the subject says, I'm trying to backup the contents of a large RAID
array
> > >on a Debian Linux machine and restore it onto an even larger RAID on a
> > >FreeBSD box.  I figured something like this would do the job:
> > >
> > I can't find it right now, but I'm sure that you can't use dump/restore
> > to move files between Linux and FreeBSD.
> > dump works on file systems, not files, and the file system is different
> > on the 2 OS.
> >
> > \Flemming
>
> It works okay in this case because you're running the original dump on
> FreeBSD. restore knows how to read the dump either way (it's standard
> 4.4BSD restore). The only thing that is a problem, I think, is the ffs
> extended flags. I don't know if dump supports them, but I'm sure that
> restore on Linux does not. (However, if you ran the restore process on the
> FreeBSD box this may avoid the problem).

Perhaps I didn't explain the setup quite well enough:  The source filesystem
is an ext2 on the Debian box.  The destination is an ffs on the FreeBSD box.
I'm running dump on the Debian box and restore on the FreeBSD box, with an
ssh tunnel between them.

If I do the dump to a file (or a tape, I guess) and restore from that,
everything works -- I end up with exactly what I expect on the FreeBSD side.
Unfortunately there probably isn't quite enough disk to the whole thing that
way.  Plus I'd just like to know why the obvious way doesn't work :-)

    Scott