Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 16:29:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
To:        "stable" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: shorter boot time?

MM> The small pause for me was for ATA devices. I no longer need them (no
MM> ide/atapi devices in system) and the boot just flies right past that point.
MM> The boot time on 4.0 is _significantly_ faster for me.

I run 3.4-STABLE and had a long pause detecting the second drive on my
second IDE controller.  Since that device doesn't exist, I removed it
from my kernel and now it doesn't pause looking for it.

My theory is to remove anything from the kernel that it is not likely
to find on my system, which rarely changes.