Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2017 11:18:02 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The future of fortune(6)

In message <CAJ-Vmo=puH=3+5HbKop3+WzyG35idZa-CMFSMJmfNmRyG7zFCw@mail.gmail.c
om>
, Adrian Chadd writes:
> hi,
>
> Pardon me, but it's 2017 and the 4.3BSD system index isn't an immutable bible
> .
>
> As a general push to packaging things in general, turning fortune into
> a package seems like some low hanging fruit.
>

> -adrian

I see no reason why fortune(6) cannot be a port. Much of /usr/games (IIRC
that's where it was) has been gutted anyway and not only that but other
more functional parts of 4.4BSD have been culled and are simply gone.

I think the way forward is:

1. Make fortune a port.

2. Whatever was in games and is in ports could be installed through a
bsd-games meta-port.

People should realize that ports are just as valid as base. Not everything
should be in base. This will become truer once base is fully distributed as
packages. A monolithic base is so 1960s. Even the IBM mainframe I worked on
in the 1970s used packages (IBM called them FMIDs). Let's get on with the
1970s and move it to ports/packages.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>