Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 20:48:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris <chris@ferraro.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, brian@awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: PPP problems

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Brian Somers wrote:

> > Occasionally, PPP traffic just stops.  PPP won't pass any traffic.  The
> > routing tables do not change.  The problem occurs randomly.  Outgoing ping
> > traffic simply is not returned, but does not return a message (ie. no
> > route to host).  I can ping other systems on my local network and myself
> > without problems.

I have noticed that it occurs much more often under high traffic, when the
traffic is traveling to many different sites/addresses.

> [perfectly fine routing table deleted]
>
> Does the connection close ?

No, I am sure the line is still active.

> I've seen ppp doing this once or twice, for no reason.  Everything
> seems to "hang", and a short while later things are fine again.  I
> haven't treated it as a potential problem yet 'cos I consider such
> things to be potential "glitches" with my ISP.
>
> If it's happening reasonably consistently for you, you'll need to
> diagnose it a bit more - there are instructions now in section 10 of
> the FAQ on how to do this.

I was unable to find anything about diagnosis under section 10 of the FAQ
on www.freebsd.org.  Of course, I could easily have missed it.

No traffic is going out the link.  I determined this by sending ping
packets to a Win95 machine that was connected to the Internet.  I was able
to ping it and watch the green modem light light when I was not having a
problem.  Then I waited until the link wasn't functioning and pinged the
Win95 system again.  The modem lights stayed red, indicating no activity.

However, if I attempt to access a web page on my system from another
Internet connected computer, I see the IP in the netstat -n output
with the words "SYN_SENT" next to it.  The status never changes to
ESTABLISHED.  This seems to indicate that traffic is entering the link.

I just tried to upgrade to the Sept 24th release of PPP, but I couldn't
get it to compile

I ended up with:

ld: -ldes: no match
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

> You'll probably need to "set log +tcp/ip" in addition, but you only
> need do this while the connection is "pausing".  Set yourself up a
> script:
>
> #! /bin/sh
> val=+
> test ."$1" = .off && val=-
> exec pppctl -p mypasswd 3000 set log ${val}tcp/ip

I tried using this script, but I couldn't figure out where the logging
information went.  I check /var/log/messages, but there is nothing
indicating any logging is taking place.

> You can then find out if the traffic is actually going out or not.
> Of course if you have an external modem, you can probably just look
> at the TX light.

I have an internal modem.

>--
>Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
>      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;
>Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour....

Thank you,

Chris