Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 95 10:08:22 -0400
From:      crtb@helix.nih.gov (Chuck Bacon)
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re:  Using No-break Power Systems

> My new apartment comes with full amenities, including (what seems to be)
> daily short power interruptions, usually less than 1 minute in length.  I'd
> like to get no-break power, something like an APC power system, just for
> the two system boxes (not the monitor, printer, etc.)  Each system has a
> 300 watt power supply, which I think is lightly loaded.  I was wondering
> if anyone who has experience with power (I don't) could give me a SWAG as
> to the VA load I need to run to be able to allow for ignoring 1 minute
> outages, and allowing 4 minutes extra for system auto-shutdown if it runs
> longer?

I found a Tripp-Lite model 450LAN at a surplus sale.  Judging by the
model name, I gather it's supposed to support LAN servers up to 450
VA.  It was new, I think, but I got it for a great price for the time,
$200.  Today, you can find similar VA ratings for far less.

I used it to support three AT&T 3B1s for a couple years, and it never
failed.  I've had it for about four years.  Many times per month I can
hear it bragging -- beep, beep -- about how it saved my hide :-)

It's cheap; it takes a couple milliseconds (?) to switch from straight
through to its own inverter, but modern PC power supplies will ride out
quite a bit of outage, up to a quarter second easily.  Also, it doesn't
put out true sine wave, but a kind of square wave, which PCs generally
like well enough.  I've ridden through outages up to several minutes
with my PC, modem, monitor and printer all smiling at me.

Generally, I think UPSes tend to be rated for twenty minutes at their
power rating.  This means a 450 VA unit should support 300 watts for
perhaps thirty minutes.

To save money, I might be tempted to buy a unit with only a minute's
worth of capacity, since outages in this area seem to last only a few
secondS, but I don't know if anyone makes such a thing!
Anyway, for the price nowadays, I'd suggest getting about 50% to 100%
overcapacity, so you can hang other useless stuff on it like a TV.
For brand name, I like this Tripp well enough; I'd go for a well-known
name like Tripp, Best, APC and the like.

> Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data
> chuckr@eng.umd.edu          | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
> 9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
> Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0) and n3lxx
> (301) 220-2114              | (FreeBSD 1.1.5.1) and am I happy!

One man's experience; take it for just that :~)
	Chuck Bacon -- crtb@helix.nih.gov