Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 21:59:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
To:        jfu@asl.dl.nec.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup

> After I run CVSup to download the updated files.

What do you mirror with CVSup?
The source (foo.c) or the CVS repository (foo.c,v)?

Possibly you just mirror the latest sources,,

>   Do I need to use the command "cvs"?

Only if you mirror the CVS repository.
But you probably don't.

> "make world" in the
> /usr/src?  Should I compile the kernel before make world?

This depends on your present FreeBSD version.
Occasionally dramatic changes happen (like /dev/sd* -> /dev/da*)
if you monitor volatile stuff like -CURRENT. :)

However there is a src/UPDATING file that should be read.

With a fairly modern FreeBSD indeed I would suggest

    make buildworld
    (drop to single user mode)
    make installworld
    (build new kernel)
    reboot

Better keep boot and fixit disks ready, if you never did
this. Then backup and keep old kernels around.

Regards,
Marc