Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:11:14 +0200
From:      "DA Forsyth" <d.forsyth@ru.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cron mail problem solved

Why do I become so clever AFTER asking for help?

Anyhow, I have solved the cron not sending email problem.
The cron log file contains lines like this
NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): nis, group_compat, setgrent, not found
which when searched for produces the page at
http://www.ivorde.ro/FreeBSD_Cron__NSSWITCH_nss_method_lookup_errors-
44.html

So I have edited my /etc/nsswitch.conf to have
group: files
password: files
(instead of 'compat')

and now it works again.

I guess I must have installed that file in the  upgrade during my
glazed mergemaster phase of 'esc i enter' to install all those files
whose only difference is the $Id$ tag (why do they bother?)

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research