Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:49:33 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        James Riendeau <jtriende@wisc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/UNIX backups to DVD+RW

--dWYAkE0V1FpFQHQ3

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 01:14:50PM -0500, James Riendeau wrote:
> I'm trying to setup backups to the DVD-RW drive on our new server before =
it
> goes into production.  I've got the DVD-RW drive working, and I figured o=
ut
> how to dump to it:
>=20
> # dvd+rw-format /dev/cd0
> # dump -0 -uL -C16 -B4589840 -P 'growisofs -speed=3D4 -Z /dev/cd0=3D/dev/=
fd/0'
> /usr

Hmm, nice idea. Although I don't think it'll work on a partition >4GB.

> A test restore comes out clean:
>=20
> # restore -Nxvb /dev/cd0
>=20
> The problem is most of the partitions are tiny (< 1G) and I would like to
> fit more then one partition on each DVD.  I figured just passing -M (appe=
nd
> data) instead of -Z (new session) would do it:
>=20
> # dump -0 -uL -C16 -a -P 'growisofs -speed=3D4 -M /dev/cd0=3D/dev/fd/0' /=
home
>=20
> But growisofs fails with :-( /dev/cd0 doesn't look like isofs..., and of
> course dump fails with "Broken pipe".

That's because it isn't an isofs, it's a raw dump. Growisofs doesn't
understand the dump format and doesn't have a clue where the end of the
previous session is.

> Any clues to how to get this to work?  (Webpage link is sufficient if the=
re
> is something out there.  I couldn't find one.)

If you have sufficient disk space, dump to disk. Compress the dumps with
gzip or bzip2 if you want to fit more on a disk, and put the dumps in an
isofs with mkisofs(8). Burn that on a DVD.

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt