Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 20:16:43 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   17" monitor recomendations..

Hi, it's time for that semi-annual "which monitor should I buy" thread,
and this time it will be me who starts it!  :-)

Anyhow, my Mag finally blew up, and I had great fun taking the elevator
to the top of a 20 story building and dropping the piece of crap off
the roof.. :-)  I never imagined that it would feel so good to watch
the Mag - which I payed $1400 for 4 years ago - plummet to its
shattering death....  8-)

So now I'm looking for a new 17" high-quality display. Here are my
ideas so far - comments/experiences welcome!

- Nokia 447Xi
- ViewSonic PT775
- Samsung Syncmaster 700p

All of these are in the $950 CAN range. I'm also considering the
Sony GDM-200PS - but it's about $1130 CAN, a significant price hike..
Still, I have a 10 year old Trinitron based Sun monitor on my desk at
school that looks stellar...

I've also heard that AcerView has a nice 17 these days.. hard to believe..
but apparently true! I worry about long term quality on things like
AcerView though - my Mag looked great when I bought it, but loooked like
garbage when it finally spewed smoke...

Anyhow, if any body has experience with any of these units, I'd love
to hear what you think of them!

TIA,
-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com