Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 2003 02:39:27 +0900
From:      Luke Kearney <lukek@meibin.net>
To:        Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: apache install problem

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:21:23 -0500
Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com> spake thus:

> I just installed Apache2 and not sure how to proceed, if I'm doing things
> wrong from here or there is some other problem:
>

> $ which apachectl
> /usr/local/sbin/apachectl
> $ apachectl start
> httpd: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using
> 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
> (13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
> Unable to open logs

mate, what does the log message say ?

> (13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80

one of two things spring to mind, the apache start is not being run by
root or you have something else listening on that port. what you need to
do next is this,  make sure you are root when you execute the apachectl
commands, if that still doesn't work then *as* root execute

#sockstat -4 | grep 80

and post the output

HTH

LK