Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 18:35:33 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Michael Conlen <darthtuttle@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: packaging up a kernel hack

Michael Conlen <darthtuttle@yahoo.com> types:
> Maybe it's because it's late and I've been hacking,
> but I haven't seen a good doc on what to do when you
> have a neat kernel hack you want to share with the
> rest for the world. This hack *needs* an option. Most
> people don't need it, and it will give you BIG log
> files, but I haven't figure out how to create options
> yet. Any doc pointers?

I've seen it on the FreeBSD site, but it looks like you've added
something that mostly already exists.

> Aug  9 03:10:49 eno /kernel: exec: uid:0 pid:353 ->
> pid->354 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh start
>
> Now, if you were remotely logging and someone broke in
> to your box, this would be kinda handy me thinks.

Yes, but not as handy as the lastcomm command, which is already on the
system. You're saving a slightly different set of information, and I
could see extending the accounting stuff to include some of that
information - particularly the pid and ppid. The full path name and
argument list are both more useful and more problematical. On the
other hand, some of the stuff that accton saves that you don't are
also well worth having, in particular the terminal it started from and
the time the process exited.

It also provides a much cleaner interface than a kernel compile option
to start saving data, so that just leaving it there all the time makes
sense. So if I notice someone has broken in, I just turn it on and it
starts logging their activities.

	<mike