Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 08:20:17 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        Matthew Cashdollar <mattc@rfcnet.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bind 8 or 4 ?

> On Thu, Jun 04, 1998 at 10:37:24AM -0500, Matthew Cashdollar wrote:
> >
> > Is stable going to be moving to bind 8? I am currently using 4 and
> > would like to upgrade, but if it is going to be in the base system
> > I'd rather wait instead of installing the port.
>
> I think FreeBSD-STABLE will stay at bind4.
>
> But where is the problem to use the bind8 port ?

I installed it on one of my home machines to "experience" BIND 8, as
I'm pondering doing the same at work.  The upgrade was trivial.

If BIND 8 was used in -stable, this would cause much of the same grief
that we've just experienced with the latest round of changes that
affected config and the previous changes to compatibility slices,
because of the varying degrees of experience of people administering
FreeBSD sites.  I think that this type of upgrade should be left until
3.0 comes out.  Even then a sysinstall should ask a question like "do
you wish to upgrade to BIND 8?", then install the port and run the Perl
script to convert any BIND 4 named.boot files to BIND 8 named.conf
files.  Then in 3.1 make BIND 8 the default.  This should give everyone
plenty of warning (though some may still not heed the warning and
complain, but I guess that's life).

Open Systems Group          Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Government of BC