Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 19:21:17 +0200
From:      Stefan KORONKA <KoronkaS@interscope.ro>
To:        'Brian and Myrna' <bryhartline@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: New to Unix

> I am sure that you get a lot of these types of questions so here goes. I
am
>  completely new to Unix. I downloaded your software and had no trouble
> installing it. My question is, now that I have this stuff installed what
do I
> do with it? In other words I realize that the free bsd will act as a
firewall
> but other than that I don't know what to do with it. I have been looking
at
> your manual a little bit but am not very confident in myself in regards to
this
> type of stuff. I know this is very broad but do you get where I'am going?
> Please respond to mailto:bryhartline@hotmail.com

> PS..

> This was extremely easy to install, it basically took care of itself and
one
> other question. I went to two different sites to check my security after I

> installed this. The first site said my security wasd poor. It was able to
open
> up my C drive, it was at http://www.robrob8.com/online_security.htm.

this site is a crap.  take a look at the page
http://www.robrob8.com/online_security2.htm :

<META http-equiv="refresh" content="1; url=file:///C:/">
<title>YOUR SECURITY SYSTEM HAS FAILED! ACCESS HAS BEEN GRANTED</title>

This has NOTHING to do with security: it just open the local C: disk ..
which can
be opened by any browser, WITHOUT any securiy issues.  Just open a browser,
and
type this in the adress box:  "file:///C:/" (or "file:///home/" or something
like that).

> The second
> one gave me a great report and stated that my security was very good and
it was
> at http://grc.com/.

That one looks good.  You can base on it, for general security-testing
(still
more work can be done).

> Any suggestions? I am eager to learn a little more about
> the Unix environment!

First, make your point: what exactly do you expect from a copmuter?

Network server (web, mail, firewall, file, printing, etc) ?! Then FreeBSD is
the
answer for you !

Multimedia computer ?!  more work can be done in this direction;  FreeBSD
can
play your cds/mp3s/etc, but won't handle DVDs (copyrighted-format issues)
(please
correct me if otherwise)  Also, support for some tv cards exist.

Graphic work ?!  yes, you can use gimp and another few programs;

Gameing ?!  hmm .. there are some linux games (see loki.com) which will run
whitout major problems on FreeBSD, but if you want only this from a
computer,
I'll suggest to stay with windoze.

Text editing/processing ?!  there is (la)tex - or if you wanna wysiwyg
editor,
try staroffice or corel word.

C/C++/Perl/other programming ?!  yes, FreeBSD is for you !

Wanna learn how a computer works ? want to learn something strong ? want to
learn what UNIX means ? then try FreeBSD !

> Thank you very much!

Youre welcome.

Stefan