Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 10:50:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        mark@vmunix.com, mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        config@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, kpielorz@tdx.co.uk
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD updated Installation / Adminsitration Kit

 Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 30, 1998 at 01:06:33PM +1030, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
>
> > > It has been decided that FreeBSD could do with a 'replacement' to sysinstall,
> > > preferably something graphical, and 'portable'. We have a choice of 3
> > > alternatives,
> [SNIP]
> > > 2. We write something that will maintain FreeBSD - again with emphasis on ease
> > > of use, but including portability (i.e. we want to be able to run this from
> > > Windows, other Unix platforms, Alpha workstations, X-servers etc. This is more
> > > akin to the Admin tools for something like SCO OpenDesktop etc. - but done
> > > properly ;-)
> >
> > Here you lump together a great number of iterrelated issues.  I don't
> > think that you're really thought this one through.  Terry is much
> > closer to the mark with his summary, which comes reasonably close to
> > condensing most of the conclusions that've been reached over the years.
>
> I agree.
>
> > Bottom line: LDAP is the way to go, however we do it.  It is the
> > distributed parametric database system that we basically need.
>
> Once again, I agree. As I mentioned before, I've played with the idea
> of a FreeBSD management system in the past, but never had the time to
> implement one. I'm not really that interested in writing something that
> can be used to install the system - more like something to manage it
> effectively when it's up and running. For me, this means a GUI of
> some sort, ultimately.  IMHO, installing the system and admining it
> are two distinct tasks (at least from the user point of view) and
> shouldn't necessarily have the same limitations/conditions...
>
> Background, which will lead to a proposal:
> (sorry this is long, but it will be
> necesary to establish the motives behind
> the proposal....)

 Ok - just to provide more information on my questionable LDAP
reference a while back:

  The article comes from Computer Reseller News, and is
titled:
	VARs cite LDAP woes -- De factor standard is not
	enough to ease interoperability snafus.

  You should be able to find it by looking for LDAP references
at http://www.crn.com or http://www.varbiz.com

  I'm not necessarily suggesting LDAP is "bad" - just providing
information...

	- Dave Rivers -