Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 15:16:28 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        drifter@stratos.net, fpawlak@execpc.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

My hidden microphone recorded Frank Pawlak (fpawlak@execpc.com) saying:
% Guns walking around probably refers to the guns per capita ratio in the US,
% which has increased rapidly in the last twenty years or so, and to the types
% of
% weapons that are being carried.

Ah, yet another myth of the liberal press - gun ownership in the USA is at an
all-time high.  My fater, his brothers, and ALL of their friends took their
guns to school EVERY day.  They were, each and every one of them, expected to
bring dinner home with them upon returning from school.  This meant carrying a
rifle, a fishing pole, or both, since thats how they got food.

If you mean gun ownership in the cities is going up, that's only because living
it cities is going up; the USA is significantly less rural that it used to be.
And gun ownership here where I live has gone down in the last 20 years, from
about 95% of households in the 70s to about 75% of households in the 90s.  Much
of the blame for this sad state of affairs is the increasing urabanization of
northern Utah, and the attendant crime and drop in moral standards.

Guns are not the cause of crime, indecency is.